Sunday, October 11, 2009

Roots

Fall brings forth the stuff of the earth, the cold-hardy vegetables that grow below ground to develop earthy and fragrant flavors - potatoes, leeks, onions, garlic.

Craving something warm and having a bounty of leeks and potatoes from my CSA share, I decided to make a huge pot of creamy potato and leek soup.

As I started to prep the ingredients, I started thinking about the roots of these roots... that is, where it all came from...

I started with garlic and red onion, both from Sippel Family Farm in Mount Gilead, Ohio...

then leeks and celery, also from Sippel Family Farm...


potatoes from Sippel Family Farm...


herbs from my garden...


and whipping cream and skim milk from Snowville Creamery in Pomeroy, Ohio.


The only ingredient that wasn't local was the chicken broth.

A salad of lettuces and arugula from Sippel Family Farm and a big bowl of soup makes the perfect fall meal - a meal fit for a locavore!


For more information on CSAs and the local food movement, I encourage you to visit Local Harvest, visit farmer's markets and local co-ops, and ask questions about the origin and production methods of your food.
Interested in trying more of our local fall bounty? Sign up for Dine & Learn: Fall Harvest on Tuesday, October 27th by emailing me. Hurry, there are only four spots left!

No comments: